If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time. ~Robert Doisneau

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Quantity Eventually Gets Quality

I wish I had some insight into how I get photos like these....I love these 2 shots of Chloe's face. There are a few things in my favor, a- she's a gorgeous photogenic subject, b-I have a pretty sweet camera and c- she's used to posing for me. But I'm not sure just what it is that pops out these spot on shots. Everyone makes fun of me for how many photos I take....but I'm beginning to think that may be one of the secrets! If you take 1000 shots instead of a 100 you're a lot more likely to get some good ones! When I was in high school, I babysat for family whose dad was a photographer for Nat'l Geographic (now he's the editor in chief!)....and I remember him saying something about quantity as well. He said that for one article which may have 2 dozen shots published in it, there were probably about 900 rolls of film taken. So I don't come anywhere CLOSE to that much quantity!! SO basically what I'm saying is, I will continue to ignore the "paparazzi" comments thrown at me and keep shooting if it means I can get shots like these! I recommend you try the same! Who cares what people think of ya?!






Lately I've been trying to hold my camera down at Chloe's level more...makes for some interesting shots. It means that I shoot blind (I'm not looking through the viewfinder) so sometimes I chop things off unintentionally....but I'm getting a bit better with lots of practice (see my above comments about quantity!). And sometimes it gets me a shot like this.... I know it's cropped funny, but I like it! Makes me wonder what she's thinking....what the other half of her face looks like to create this look.....? And I love the bokeh it creates with the trees behind her!!


Here's another example of a photo with some pretty sweet bokeh...

No comments: