If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time. ~Robert Doisneau

Friday, December 26, 2008

Shooting in the snow....

I've discovered it's rather hard to capture snow AS it's falling....it's tough to avoid the washed out white in the front of a picture that you know is snow. That's where manual focus comes into play instead of auto focus. The camera has a tough time focusing automatically on the falling snowflakes instead of whatever is behind them. I've had some fun playing around with this the past several weeks since all it does is snow around here! It was even more fun with my zoom lens.


When you switch to manual focus you can focus on the flakes instead of the background behind....it still takes some patience and tweaking though!



Red berries blissfully unaware that it's WINTER?!




The other thing I love to do in the snow with my zoom lens is shoot as close as it will let me focus so that only one thin strip of the snow is focused. Makes it look extra pretty sparkly to me!




I tried to adjust the lighting on this one in photoshop but I couldn't improve it while keeping the soft yellow light from the light on the side of the house.





I LOVE this one....the snow on top of our patio table....the dip in the middle is where the umbrella's supposed to go. This was with my zoom lens probably only 5 feet away from the table.

1 comment:

lil bird said...

http://digitalmash.com/photo/

check this guy out he's graphics and webstuff but his world pics are great too... I like the simplicity of them... kinda been done but I still like it